Thursday, June 19, 2014

5 THINGS I LEARNT WHEN I WENT BACK TO SCHOOL! DON’T LAUGH AT ME!


By

EvangelistBee


facebook- evangelistbee (PUBLIC FIGURE - LIKE)
Twitter@evangelistbee
Mail-evangelistbee@gmail.com



My twin brother is grown up. That's what they call him now. In the last seven days, I have heard five different people say that. Not a big deal - this twin brother is my son! I found myself in a town called College station in Texas for 3 days for freshman (newcomers) conference of the Texas A and M with my son as he moves to the next phase of his life.  Where I came from, we call them Jambites after the name of the exam used to enter colleges. It turned out that it was not only him that had things to learn - I learnt a lot of things I will like to share about my going back to school:
PICTURE IN FRONT OF THE AGGIES RING
1. TRULY! I AM OLDER NOW!

The reality dawned on me. I am older now – way older. Forget about the Levi denim jeans and sports canvass shoes we are both wearing. That’s where the similarity ends! I am not that 5-10km walking school boy of almost 30 years ago. The last time I ministered at IVCU in Ibadan and in most singles meetings these days and I see the way they call me Daddy, I finally give up on trying to be a young man forever. Two of our friend’s children were in that IVCU meeting! Whether I like it or not the conveyor belt is moving. Soon we will be talking about marriages. Psalm 90:12- Teach us how short our life is, so that we may become wise.

2. I SURVIVED. HE WILL SURVIVE!

This arose because my son already booked a dormitory for us to stay. Error! Serious Error! Dormi–what? Hotel would have been better. I was apprehensive. Dormitory? As we entered, my eyes well up as I remember my first days as an undergraduate. I did not even have a room or bunk. I squatted on the floor! It was one wilderness hall then called Angola hall in OAU in Ife. Everything is similar except for the fact that the beds (or bunks) were two and meant for two per room and kept at that. By the time I left school 24 years, we were getting to 12 per room. I don't know how many will be in Nigerian Universities now. My first night in the dormitory here, I barely slept. Don't ask why? You know why! The curvature and the composition of my bones and sinews had been changed over the years by my wife’s cooking to fit to the texture of a dormitory bed. I survived 2 nights this time. I survived five years then - He will survive too! By His grace, He will. Like my car plate number says – Romans 9: 16 - So then it is not of the one willing, nor of the one running, but of God, the One showing mercy.

3. PRAYER WORKED THEN, IT WILL WORK NOW

On our first night in the dormitory, we prayed and I felt the kind of atmosphere I look forward to in a place called Sport Center in Ife. As he led the prayer points, I saw that the prayer points were the same - wisdom, excellence, strength, right association etc. I have learnt over the years that in our choices, adversities, backsliding and successes that prayer works. It worked then and it works now. Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ never changes! He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. If he can retain that virtue, he will be safe. I heard him release some tongues that I had never had from his mouth. Yes 0 ! He will need them for those engineering courses.
My twin Brother and I
4. TIME HAS CHANGED BUT THE ISSUES ARE SAME.

I am a bush boy. I don’t contest it. I came from the backside of the wilderness. I know it's been by grace. I had my first degree in Ife and second degree in University of Lagos(Unilag). I had a culture shock when I transited from Ife to Lagos. Indeed I saw firsthand like they say that Ife is for book and Unilag is for show. When I saw what Unilag girls were wearing then when I resumed there for my Masters, I thought I will backslide. Stop laughing at me! Then they called it spaghetti. I wondered how the brothers in Unilag survived the onslaught of this extra exposure which I barely saw where I was coming from. Sincerely then, It was a big deal for me. Fast forward 22 years after, by what I saw as the standard form of dressing amongst the intending students in Texas, in comparison, Unilag spaghetti is a winter coat.  Kai! Infact, the average wear that it's now being referred to as Female shorts is what aunties used to wear as their underwear when I was growing up and they still cover it with two additional layers of clothing. Lord, have mercy, some of these Shorts are indeed short (for absence of any other word) and "bad"- You know what I mean. I know for every generation, His grace is sufficient. 2Cor 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.
#TAMU18 - See ya 2018! By His grace!

5. MY SON IS AN ADULT NOW!

The direct implication is that I will have to learn and train his mum to give him his space! All adults needs some space. Whether we like it or not – this guy is no longer a boy – He is an adult.

Go Son, be the best that the Lord will want you to be. Fulfill your destiny and remember that your sister and cousins are looking forward to you to set more records that they can break. I hand you over to Him that is able to keep - exceedingly abundantly. We have a deal. I will keep my side as I trust God to continue to grant you the spirit of excellence to keep your side of the deal. So help you God in Jesus name.

God bless you. If I made sense at all - please let me have your comments.
EVB






17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad make sense ooooo holy spirit will help you am proud of u both sir

Evangelist Bee said...

Amen! He will help us and keep helping us.
EVB

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, you made a lot of sense. Quite an emotional post.

Anonymous said...

Nice post and Well written Pastor Bee...As my mom would say, there is nothing our generation is going through that has not happened before. The only difference is that nowadays, things are getting worse. May God help us all.

AdeOluwa Ope. Adenaike said...

Just like yesterday. There are some lessons there for anyone desiring to be a great Dad. I have picked something. Thanks for sharing!

Evangelist Bee said...

Yes o! Like the scripture says - There is no new thing under the sun. I fully agree!
EVB

Evangelist Bee said...

Adeolu

Like yesterday indeed. The days really pass fast - sometimes very fast. May we always be true to our calling as He gives the strenght and grace.
EVB

Unknown said...

You really made a lot of sense sir,it brought a nostalgia feeling for me and I got a message from it " things have changed but the issues are the same" . God bless you and will keep him .

Evangelist Bee said...

Bro akin

Thank you very much for your observation.
Indeed issues are same.
Amen to your prayers

EVB

Bukola said...

You make sense sir,The LORD saw you through that time is still at work, HE will him through too.

Oladayo said...

Only if EVERY dad were like you sir...... He'll be safe in the shadow of His wings.

Toun said...

Congratulations my brother. Our God remains faithful. He does not sleep nor slumber. He that kept us is more than able to keep our children.

Kemi said...


This resemblance is awesome. The God our help in ages past will surely preserve our seed.If you survived mission fields, SURELY "Mo-bobo" is able to surpass him.Ride on brother.

Biodun said...

Congratulations proud daddy, you make a lot of sense.. You have given this twin brother a good heritage... the knowledge of God. He is being kept now by Him who never fails... Na to relax in thanksgiving to God remain.. It is well with your entire family in Jesus Mighty Name.

Olabisi said...

CONGRATS, the real senior has finally emerged, he will be greater than his fathers in Jesus name. You are gradually getting closer to becoming a grand father. Bless you.

Evangelist Bee said...

Bukola and Oladayo
Amen to your prayers.

Toun and Kemi
Indeed our God of the ages is faithful. Thank you.

Aunty Biodun
The Lord will preserve our heritage in Jesus name.

Evangelist Bee said...

Olabisi,

I hear you o! God is faithful.
EVB