Tuesday, December 7, 2010

WHAT IS THIS?SPOTTING THE RED FLAG-THE JIM JONES STORY -“IS THIS CHRISTIANITY? "- PART 2


By Evangelist Bee 
facebook: evangelistbee
twitter:@evangelistbee

(WARNING-SOME OF THE PICTURES ARE VERY DISTURBING)
The Man of Doom - Revd. Jim Jones        
Over 900 people died after being Poisoned

While preparing to write this sequel to the question “ s this Christianity? Is this not foolishness or plain purposelessness?”, I watched  CNN  Soledad O’Brien special feature on Jim Jones and the mass murder he carried out in Jonestown, Guyana. He did it in the name of religion and it increased my sense of urgency. I believe there are red flags that can be spotted to know if one or  a loved one is gradually getting into any strange and concocted version of Christianity. I believe there are symptoms that are indicative of underlying tendencies that we need to be sensitive to.They are sometimes subtle  but  there are clues that are visible and should be respected. If  these red flags  are observed and the hints they proffer are  respected, these strange versions of  Christianity will not be able to thrive! More lives will be saved from the kind of pain the 27 year old I mentioned it the first part of this write up went through. You can get the first part at http://www.evangelistbee.com/2010/11/what-is-this-is-this-christianity-is.html

Will knowing these red flags eliminate the trend completely? No. It will save you at least. You cannot prevent a bird from flying over your head but you can prevent it from building a nest on your head. I will be using recorded facts from the  Jim Jones story  and the young woman's story mentioned in the previous write up once in a while as a reference point to show what these red flags are. 

My heart cry is that we will sincerely evaluate our lives and ministry and make necessary adjustments before it’s too late. I am hoping that we will take up the challenge  of change. That we would account  not for ourselves only but also for  the people who “pastor” or “ lead” us in whatever capacity.
 
Remember,
 
Rom 15:4  For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
 
The list of these red flags are not exhaustive and some are manifested at different levels than the other but the critical path is that whenever any of these is spotted – there is need for caution. In another sequel to this, I will be discussing what to do to avoid being a victim or contributing our own part as leaders to stop these  tendencies, my focus here is just to raise alerts!

1.  DISREGARD AND NON-COMPLIANCE TO THE SCRIPTURES
 
Psa 119:105  Your word is a lamp that gives light wherever I walk. (CEV)
 
In chemistry class, when I was young we were thought  of a test called the “ litmus test”. We were taught that you know whether a matter or substance is acidic or otherwise based on the color of the litmus paper after contact with the material. Once you start seeing a minister of the gospel who starts doing things that He cannot support with the scripture, it  is time to flee! I  know that most of us are like me who do not have PH.D in the study of the word, however, if in doubt, we can ask! Ask outside the circle of the influence of the “man of God”. The circle of influence of these Pastors who do these non-scriptural things could be very wide and powerful. They could drown you - to the extent that you might “join” them to do the same things later  even though you know this does not agree with the scriptures. Be accountable to God. The good nature of the intent does not override the reality of this flag! The proper balance and correct interpretation of the word of God is the ultimate check.
If it is not right and does not align with the Word of God - Speak out. Do it in love. Do it out  of genuine concern - not hate and  not with ulterior motives. Be firm,not rude and surely not violent. Error cannot  be used to correct error.
 
I know someone who in the name of correcting others, condemns everything from giving, praying, tithing, preaching on prosperity… everything! And it’s done in a way that  the noise/ego around what she is saying masks the facts! Stay with the facts. Meanwhile I have not seen what alternative she is contributing to make the changes in the  kingdom apart from being an arm chair critic.
 
Some of these acts are even “no brainers” which confirms the fact that sometimes when you stay too much around error, you forget the color of the truth! You become color blind to the truth.
 
A prophet once told a man that in order for his wife to overcome years of childlessness, he needs to open up the blockage by sleeping with her. She told the husband! Not the woman! Can you see how bold falsehood can be? He based his premise on the scripture that says , the light shines in darkness and  darkness cannot comprehend it. He claimed he is the “light” whose light is “stronger” than that of the husband to dislodge the darkness. The husband knew better having been in faith for a while and fled. You don’t argue when it gets to this kind of junction – You flee.
2Jn 1:10  If there come any unto you, and bring not this (original) doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
 
This looks extreme but we have heard of people who killed themselves because they were told to do so “for God”. The truth is that abuses like this had gone unannounced when people confront these errors alone. Imagine if it was the desperate woman who just got born again  that went alone to the false prophet not knowing her left from the right. That “word” and “revelation” from this deranged prophet looks attractively meaningful in context of him “having power to dislodge darkness”  but it purely contradicts so many other scriptures. Even if a year after,  the” miracle” of a baby happens it still does not remove the fact that more basic scriptures about adultery, marital commitment and simple obedience had been contradicted!
Long before (almost a decade) before Jim Jones killed 914 - 638 adults and 276 children in 1978 see the non scriptural red flag in this finding–
 
“Jones developed a belief called Translation in which he and his followers would all die together, and would move to another planet for a life of bliss. Mass suicides were practiced in which his followers pretended to drink poison and fell to the ground” -  from www.religioustolerance.org/dc_jones.htm
 
Please check NOW, Is the belief/doctrine you are following scriptural? Let’s do like the Christians in Berea who double checked whatever they are taught.

Act 17:11  These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
 
2.  LOSS OF PEACE AND CONFIDENCE IN GOD
 
Any message or instruction that is given and takes away our peace, joy and confidence in the Lord  should raise an alert. Anyone that asks you to go and sell your house, sell your properties, leave your job by instruction through an “executive order” without  you having a say and having a voluntary conviction wants to rob you and not minister to you. Looks extreme? How do we respond when we are told that we should make and bring a  pledge even it has to be “taken”  from the offices where we work as a cashier? When requests and demands are made that causes rest of mind to leave, it’s a clear red flag. I recently handled a case of a young woman who kept stealing at work to please  the “ man of God” and “ church projects” at the detriment of her conscience and peace.
 
You might have known this person or Pastor for years. It is not a guarantee that what he is doing now is right. People change and get infected with the “error – virus”
 

Pro 10:22  The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.
 

He promised rest, not pain. His servants too should release rest and peace - not Pain.
 

Mat 11:30  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Mat 11:28  Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

 

Are you loosing your peace or literarily loosing your mind ? Get help! Its might be time to relocate.
 
3.         PAY BEFORE SERVICE
 
I believe the way a minister or ministry talks about and how they use money is indicative of what their approach, fundamentals and priority is. Money is good. Money had its relevance in all the phases of life. The Gospel too needs it too. However, spiritual things are spiritual and monetary issues are financial. Once a ministry or minister starts asking you to pay before being attended too or giving a spiritual promise in response to a direct paying of a particular amount, it is time to move on. Giving must always be done willingly  and money itself will not guarantee a spiritual reward. It must be given willingly and in obedience to God (not just the Man of God)
 
Isa 1:19  If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:
 
Once ministry work becomes like going to the hospital and you have to pay “consulting fees”, “deliverance fees’ before you see the man of God, there is fire on the mountain. The way ministries spend the funds  can  also show red flags! If different needless projects are being created and not implemented – it is time to go! The giving that has  reward must excite  the  giver to do even though sacrificial!

2Co 9:7  Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
 

When Jim Jones knew the end was near, he moved away about $500,000 accumulated from forced submission of people’s wealth before killing all the 900 people in his camp. The way money is viewed and used  is indicative of the state of the heart of a  man of God or a ministry.

4.         ABUSE
 
All forms of abuse (no matter how small) is a red flag to know if true Christian principles are being followed. Exhibition of abuse is a manifestation of the level of the commitment to service to the people
 
Jer 17:9  The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
 
I  had some experience of how sensitive we need to be to this clues on abuse. Some years back when I was much younger in ministry I was invited to preach by a Pastor friend who I hold very dear and I respected. It was a wonderful vigil and when we finished, some people wanted to see us for counseling and I asked the usher to bring a chair for people who wanted to see me to seat. The Pastor fought me to standstill for allowing them  to seat while talking to me! They should be on their knees while speaking! What an abuse! Christianity is not slavery. What has kneeling down got to do with meeting the needs of people! That was  the last time I ministered there. Another Pastor did not even allow his church members to see me after service. He was so violent about it. I did not even know until his members sneaked up to me by the car to for counseling! That was my the last time I was in His church .
 
A couple once told me about a church they have been going to for a long time. The General overseer was becoming overbearing because of their growth and  success. He felt they were not bringing enough of their breakthrough “ seeds” and started using them as preaching tool and manipulating them. They moved!
There was this Reverend in jail now in Nigeria for the murder of a church member who he wanted to punish  for her sexual sins with fire. He simply burned her up alive after pouring petrol on her! The abuse was obvious at a distance before that day. The girl joined his church as a virgin  who innocently wanted to serve God. She was selected as worthy to serve the Leader in his house until he started demanding she serves him his food naked and turned her to a sex slave! What’s this? Help me? Evil has no other  Name.
 
Pro 14:16  A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool rageth, and is confident.
 
THE POT OF DEATH
5. SLAVERY,NUDITY AND SEXUAL TONES

When you see a man of God and a church leadership that does not respect the sanctity of the human body being decently covered (publicly or privately), you need to be wary. I have seen a lot of people start well but never got over their weaknesses  from past sexual behaviors even now that they have become Christian leaders. Some of them have demonic pasts in the world or in other religions where women are treated as sex slaves. When such people get converted to Christianity and do not get  adequate discipleship they tend to confuse the fact that they are anointed to  mean that they could  be irresponsible.
 
Thank God for our sisters but I feel they also encourage this acts. Deliverance has got nothing to do with illicit sex or invasion into your privacy! I was struck some 20years when a young woman told me her story. She was in a taxi with  3 other men  on a 45minutes journey and they were discussing  on  seemingly innocent spiritual topics and she joined. However, she  later confessed that some of the things they were saying never gelled with the scripture and she should have dropped. One of them started playing on her mind by telling her things in her past and she got carried away . The scripture says:

2Co 5:17  Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
 
It is gone. Don’t let anyone play on your past.  End story – He started conducting deliverance by putting His hand in places that should not be. When she got married, she spent years waiting for a child until God truly now delivered her from what the mad man placed on her.
 
Act 15:29  That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
 
I once counseled a woman. After teaching the scriptures, I prayed with her –this took almost an hour. When I finished she asked me, “Is that all?” What else does she want? We need to free our mind from always expecting some gross acts from a minister to meet our needs.

Gal 5:24  And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
 
6. NO FRUIT OF THE SPIRITS
 
This is the ultimate test and it shows in different dimensions. A Christian leader should and must feel – Empathy. When they  were hungry, Jesus fed  them - He did not collect their possession and increased their problem. The fruit matters. You can’t hide  forever.

Mat 7:16-20  You will know them by what they do. Thorn bushes do not bear grapes, and briers do not bear figs. A healthy tree bears good fruit, but a poor tree bears bad fruit. A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a poor tree cannot bear good fruit.  And any tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown in the fire. So then, you will know the false prophets by what they do.

Look at the friends and  the atmosphere around the man of God. It looks outdated  but do you see this:


Gal 5:22-23  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,  Meekness, temperance:
 

Does he claim the glory rather than give it GOD? - no meekness; Does she tell you to keep the money being brought to her as a prophetess a secret from your husband ? – no love; Are emphasis been excessively laid on cloth, oil, washing in water etc – no faith.
Don’t be gullible-do something now! And if you are still hoping to mix true Christianity  with your old background in witchcraft and spirit-ism the Bible says:


2Co 6:17  Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
 
In the next sequel, I will discuss why People become susceptible to this error and why people engage it this strange things they call Christianity.
 
Let me have your comments as I pray that the  story of the Jim Jones will not repeat itself while we are there. Jim Jones himself pasted on his altar  as shown  in the pictures and it said –
 
THOSE WHO DO NOT REMEMBER THE PAST ARE CONDEMNED TO REPEAT IT
 
 
 MAY WE NOT BE ONE OF THEM IN JESUS NAME – AMEN.
 
EVANGELIST BEE
facebook: evangelistbee
twitter:@evangelistbee
No. 115 –6th DECEMBER 2010

Click on "Comment" or "Post a  Comment" Tab below for your Comments, Responses and  Testimonies.

9 comments:

RM said...

Another wonderful alert, alarm raiser. God will give us a listening ear to watch and spot the red flags.
God bless.

Anonymous said...

Excellent, please keep it flowing Kunle

busola said...

There was a time I had challenges in my marriage, I had prayed and tried all the goodness I knew to practice nothing simply worked out. My husband was very abusive and would not even communicate at all. The only time he ever spoke to me was when he needed anything from me. He had a pastor then who he was very close to; the man's word was law to him so I approached the man for help. My first reservation about this pastor had to do with his household .The pastor lived in a vicarage attached to the church. He offered me alcohol which he was taking with his meal when I entered, I declined. His children were also unruly whilst I was there and in correcting them he was raining abuses on them, I was stunned. Afterwards I told him why I had come he told me to bring a white handkerchief which he was going to work on (whatever that meant) for my husband. I thanked him and left. When things got worse at home, I approached him again to speak to my husband, he asked why I dint bring the handkerchief that I should call him later in the week after my husband had gone to work so we could pray. I called him and he came to my house, he said we should kneel down to pray. When we knelt down he asked if I had anointing oil and that I should remove my clothes. I began to wonder, the pastor in question was about 60years a grandfather and an elder in the church and I did not want to be presumptuous so I went in took the anointing oil removed my blouse, still had my bra on and my skirt. So the man prayed for a few minutes, took the anointing oil and started rubbing it on my breast. Immediately I said to myself, are you crazy? After being in the faith for so long? I knew the word, I had had solid pastors and teachers, I had encountered God was it marriage that would now lure me from God? I just got up went back inside and wore my blouse. By the time I came back the pastor was removing his clothes. I wore a thunderous expression, thanked him and sat down. He took a look at me, wore back his shirt which he had already removed and left. That was the last time I ever consulted him. Eventually I quit the marriage and moved on with my life. Years later I came across the pastor's younger brother who said he had asked after me and wondered what transpired as the pastor and my ex never had any good thing to say about me. The man was also the pastor of a church, not too long after that the man was asking me how I was coping and how he would not mind to be my boyfriend, fulfilling my sexual needs. I simply walked off in disgust. The bible says by their fruits you shall know them. Most often when you spend time with God, walk in the spirit and with the word; you can determine a man's spiritual location after 5minutes in his presence. There are so many raving wolves in the name of the lord and there is no need to rationalize anything in the name of the lord -the only man that qualifies as a Christian and man of God to me is the one that lives the way Jesus did and accords me the dignity and respect that Jesus does!

Evangelist Bee said...

Busola
This is the comment of the year - for some few reasons
1. You were frank and completely open about it.
2. You gave more resources for me and other who are willing to learn on how our needs can put us under pressure.

This comment of yours is very helpful.

I pray that The Lord will give you a fulfilled life and continually grant you the strength and grace to please Him and do that which is right.

Thank for this frank comment. God bless you.
EVB

Evangelist Bee said...

Busola
Another sad thing though that I can see in your comment is that you genuinely needed help which men of God are there for. You needed help! You needed someone who truly represents God to help you get your bearing as regards your marital issues but he disappointed you and God. That surely would have been a good chance at that time to salvage your marriage!
Like I prayed for you earlier, Heaven will make you laugh last and grant you rest

BUKY OF BUKVILLE said...

May God continue to help and guide us. We must never take our eyes off God, it is wrong to put man of God over God Himself. It can happen to anyone and people usually make the mistake that those that fall prey to such things are fools or baby Christian but that is not always the case.

Anonymous said...

Remain blessed sir ,I know of some gospel churches that behave more like social gathering in that there must be eating and drinking at every service for every and any reason,some churches under their denomination have gone a step further so even when there is fasting and prayer,members are encouraged to break their fast in church.They preach that they show love this way,I see this as a red flag.Any thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Remain blessed sir ,I know of some gospel churches that behave more like social gathering in that there must be eating and drinking at every service for every and any reason,some churches under their denomination have gone a step further so even when there is fasting and prayer,members are encouraged to break their fast in church.They preach that they show love this way,I see this as a red flag.Any thoughts?

Evangelist Bee said...

Hello,

I don't think eating in church or providing food during a special program or after
a praying and fasting program is a red flag on its own. The Bible says in

Tit 1:15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and
unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

What will be a red flag is if the food itself is involved in a form of ritual or event the way
we handle communion. If the motive around the food is idolatry in nature being a form of "sacrifice" or
sort then its a red flag.

There was a time I had a very long meeting in a church some years back and after being on the altar for about 2hours I
was very thirsty and needed to drink water(which I don't normally do while preaching). The Pastor insisted I had to step down from the altar to take the water
before coming back to continue ministering. I respected his wishes even though I see no big deal in it. When you are in Rome, you do like them as
far as no scriptural rule is broken and its to gain men for the Kingdom.I understand your concern - we cannot be too careful.They too were being careful so it does not look like
That's my pulse. I hope its helpful.

EVB